What is the best thing that goes with a cozy movie night? A big bowl of popcorn, of course. Popcorn has become a symbol for films, or entertaining events in general. And it has come a long way since your grandma used to just pop a few kernels in a pot full of oil.
Popcorn, like anything else in this world, evolved into a better version of itself. A few years ago you wouldn’t have even imagined that you can have blue cheese flavored popcorn. Before, it was just the simple kind, the salty one. Then came out the cheese flavored popcorn and people went nuts. That is how manufacturers realized that they can milk that cow a lot more.
Now you have a lot of sorts of popcorn on the market. From the simple, salty ones, to caramel flavored kernels. The thing is that they are really delicious and people enjoy all flavors. There is one for everyone.
Which kernels are better?
You may be wondering at some point what is the difference between organic kernel, the one you buy by the pound, and the store bought (popped or not) popcorn. Is there something you should know about one or the other? Is either of them going to make a real difference in your diet? The answer is yes, yes, and yes.
The processed popcorn you usually buy from the supermarket is pumped with additives, preservatives, and God knows what else. Of course, they are going to affect your health in one way or another. Maybe not for now, but in time every food will tell its tale. The source and the preparation method is crucial. Can you really say what’s in it? What’s the oil used for popping? The label does not say, but you can guess what kind. Not the right kind, anyway. That is why my advice to you is to avoid microwave or processed popcorn.
The best popcorn you could possibly eat is the one that you can make it in an old-fashioned way. Either on the stovetop or in a popcorn machine. Why? Because they can be done with real, organic kernels. Popcorn comes very cheaply. No matter how many things you cannot afford, popcorn is surely not one of them. Just because it’s organic, that does not mean it’s expensive. Quite the contrary. When the kernels are organic, it means that there wereless allocated resources in their production, which translates into a lower price.
Also, buying organickernel will also mean that you get to choose the oil you will use to pop it in. I know that sunflower oil is the most common, and that is cheap, but please start thinking about your health for a second. It may be a small thing, but it matters a lot for your arteries. That is why I recommend ghee or coconut oil. Your level of cholesterol will stay untouched.
After popping, sprinkle some high-quality salt (preferably Himalayan pink salt), and you will have a tasty, but healthy, snack. Some people choose to sprinkle some yeast powder as well, just for the sake of having a greaterintake of B vitamins.
What are the benefits of organic popcorn kernels?
Apart from being good for your cholesterol, organic popcorn has a few other advantages that you may not know about. It is often underestimated as food, which is why I want to clarify a few things.
- Popcorn may be better for you than fruits and vegetables. I know how it sounds, trust me. But just pay attention for one second. Popcorn is loaded with polyphenols. They are compounds that act as powerful antioxidants and can decrease inflammation. In fruits and veggies, this compound is highly diluted because they are 90% water. Popcorn is only 4% water, which basically means that polyphenol is more concentrated, especially in the hulls. Hulls are those annoying little brown things that get stuck between your teeth. Popcorn may not have too many nutrients, so it’s not safe to assume that it can replace fruits and vegetables in your diet, but still.
- Another advantage that I bet you didn’t know about is the fact that popcorn can fight cancer. That’s right. The polyphenol I was talking above can block enzymes. Enzymes are some sort of food for cancer cells, so you see my point here. Eat popcorn and cancer will not grow. Simple as that.
- Popcorn will provide all the whole grain you need. It is the only snack that is 100% unprocessed whole grain. Just one serving of popcorn contains more than 70% of the recommended daily intake of whole grain. There is this idea that cereal contains the biggest dose, but it would seem that it only has half.
- It helps with constipation. It’s not news to you that fibers help you with your digestive tract. Popcorn is, above all else, whole grain, which is commonly known for its properties when it comes to constipation relief. People who eat popcorn on a regular basis are less likely to be constipated than those who do not. Who would have thought that such a simple snack has such an impact on your digestive system?
- Are you on a diet? Popcorn will help. It contains high-fiber, which means it will take longer to digest. That way you will feel full for a longer period of time, and you will survive the temptation of eating sweets or fat foods. The only thing you have to be careful about is not to load the popcorn with too much butter and salt. Otherwise, all that effort goes to waste.
- If you are a diabetic, popcorn will do you good. It does not have the same effect on blood as refined carbs. Fiber is on the ‘no-no’ list for people with diabetes, but popcorn somehow manages to be processedproperly.
- Popcorn has even more iron than spinach. It does not exceed with much, but still. According to the Centre for Disease Control, almost 10 percent of the women in the United States are diagnosed with an iron deficiency. So ladies, butter your fingers!
- Last, but not least, don’t forget about all the flavors. These days popcorn has an endless number of toppings so you can enjoy it just the way you like. My favorite is dark chocolate over salty popcorn. I know, it sounds disgusting, but it tastes excellent.
What are the best popcorn kernels?
There are so many assortments out there that it is tough to choose from. But as I stated above, organic kernels are the healthiest. So first sort the ones that are processed from the ones that are organic, and take it from there. Here are three great choices.
Orville Redenbacher’s Gourmet Popcorn Kernels, Original Yellow
Now, imagine how much time will it take for your to eat 5 pounds and 12 ounces of popcorn. It will take you a while, but only because you have to limit yourself. The popcorn that results from these kernels is absolute to die for.
You will get premium popcorn that has a tender inside with a crispy exterior. It is perfect. Not too chewy, but not toocrispy to hurt your gums either. It’s just right. You can make it on your stovetop, in an air popper, as well as in an electric popper.
The beauty of Orville Redenbacher’s Popcorn is that it’s 100% natural. Everything that I preached about above can be found in these kernels. They are not processed, no chemicals have been used in their development, they have not been treated pre-packaging, and they are non-GMO. They are just like God intended. They were taken from the field and put into a container. That is it.
Since they are grain, after all, they do not have an expiration date. As long as the kernels are kept in a dry, cold, and dark place, like your pantry, they can last for years. Their most common enemy is mold, but as I said, keep the kernels in a dry place, and it should be just fine.
Bob’s Red Mill Whole White Popcorn
There has been a lot of fuss about this brand of kernels. Why? Well, with an increase in the vegan and vegetarian community, more and more people asked that their popcorn should be vegan. At first, I did not understand the concept. Popcorn is grain. How can it not be vegan? They have no butter when they are removed from the field. But then I found out that there is more to it than meets the eyes.
Purchasing Bob’s Red Mill Popcorn, you will receive 100% whole grain, gluten-free, vegetarian and vegan kernels. There is no animal trace anywhere. Also, people who do not tolerate gluten will be happy to know that they can also enjoy popcorn. It is also Kosher Pareve.
This popcorn you can either pop it on the stove, or you can just put it in the microwave. It doesn’t make much of a difference. It is an excellent source of dietary fiber that will literally make you lick your fingers.
The one thing I don’t really like about these kernels is that you cannot pop them without oil. If you do they end up kind of dry. If you cannot consume oil, that is kind of a bummer. However, you can use coconut oil spray to coat the pot just a little bit. It’s generally healthy, and I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Snappy White Popcorn
If you want a healthy snack, Snappy is all you need. These fine kernels are low fat and highfiber, which means that they are good for your health. Unless you add a mountain of butter and half a pound of salt, you could say that Snappy is even better than fruit.
These kernels are also GMO-free. I don’t know why most people are so against GMOs, but you know how the economy works. Supply and demand. The kernels from Snappy have tradition on their side as well. They are being grown in Iowa ever since the 1940s.
In order to prepare Snappy Popcorn, you can use all means available for making popcorn. You can microwave it, put it on the stovetop, in the air popper, or the popcorn machine. The taste will be the same just so you know. The oil aspect, again, bothers a few people, but dry popcorn is even more displeasing.
If you complain that Snappy is smaller than other brands, just keep in mind that white popcorn is smaller than yellow. It’s not like you can change that. It’s just natural. If you want huge white kernels, you should go for the processed kernels that are filled with additives. But just so you know, nutrition wise, there is no difference between white and yellow popcorn. Just like there are apples of different colors, so there are kernels. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
I tried a lot of brands. I am a huge fan of popcorn. Not just when watching a movie. But I will always go with Orville. I don’t know if it’s because Orville is the first brand of popcorn that I can remember or just because I like the taste. But I have compared it with so many others, and in my mind, nothing exceeds the delicious taste of Orville Redenbacher’s popcorn.
I hope you learned something about popcorn by reading this. There are a lot of things that I bet you did not know about it. Frankly, I didn’t too. I was amazed by how significant such a small grain can be. It has so many benefits for your health, all while being such a great pass-time. Who knew? Click here to buy on Amazon
- Top Popcorn Oil Secrets
- Dirty Facts About Gourmet Popcorn Kernels Uncovered
- Top Guide of Popcorn Popper
- The Unusual Puzzle Into Popcorn Salt
- What You Need to Know About Air Popped Popcorn
- What Does Popcorn Maker Mean?
- The Ultimate Popcorn Kernels Trick
- What You Should Do to Find Out About Popcorn Machine Before You’re Left Behind
- How to Choose Popcorn Kernels Bulk
- Rumored Hype on Stovetop Popcorn Maker Uncovered
- A Deadly Mistake Uncovered on Popcorn Toppings and How to Avoid It
- Colored Popcorn Kernels – the Conspriracy
- A Deadly Mistake Uncovered on Bulk Popcorn Kernels and How to Avoid It
- Rumored Buzz on Gourmet Popcorn Seasoning Revealed
- The Do This, Get That Guide On Where to Buy Popcorn Kernels
- New Article Reveals the Low Down on Popcorn Seeds and Why You Must Take Action Today
- Outrageous Bulk Popcorn Tips
- New Questions About Coconut Oil Popcorn Answered and Why You Must Read Every Word of This Report
- The Fight Against Pop Corn
- The Unexposed Secret of Popcorn Butter
- Short Article Reveals the Undeniable Facts About Best Hot Air Popcorn Popper and How It Can Affect You
- What Has to be Done About Best Popcorn Maker
- The Basics of Healthy Popcorn
- The Recently Leaked Secrets to Popcorn Pot Uncovered
- One of the Most Incredibly Ignored Options for Popcorn Flavors
- Best Popcorn Popper Exposed
- Brief Article Teaches You the Ins and Outs of Best Air Popcorn Popper and What You Should Do Today
- Popcorn Pan – Overview
- The Fight Against Mushroom Popcorn Kernels
- The End of Best Popping Corn
- Vital Pieces of Stovetop Popcorn
- The Argument About Hulless Popcorn
- Microwave Popcorn – an in Depth Anaylsis on What Works and What Doesn’t
- Most Noticeable Popcorn Seasoning
- The Biggest Myth About Popcorn Air Popper Exposed